All Saints Church in Rudston sits in the grounds of the famous Rudston Standing Stone, this alone clearly points to the area being of ritual use thousands of years before this Norman church was erected.
The oldest part of All Saints church is the tower, which probably dates to the 1100's. Unfortunately it has seen much more recent renovation and signs of it's earlier use have mostly been lost. However this is undoubtedly a site of very ancient use. Rudstone monolith, the nearby Roman road and Villa all attest to a site with very ancient origins.
Probably the oldest item remaining inside the church, the Norman font.
Also in the churchyard there is another standing stone called the Outer stone.
Site Specific Links