Roman Brigantia and Later

The Roman Ridge

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Markoz
    Participant

Greetings my first post on this forum,I live at Cadeby,Doncaster the reputed site of a Henge, I walk the North of the Don in the area and Recently I found a site about the history of Mexborough which mentioned the ridge having forts at Mexborough,Barnburgh,Cadeby,Sprotbrough,Doncaster,and Long Sandal.

The Mexborough fort is in a Park in the Town,all other forts were on crossing points of the Don and last year a Roman fort was excavated at Long Sandal on the South Bank of the Don and a Britonic earthwork was identified on the North Bank.

On Garden lane Cadeby the is a mysterious tree covered Eminence which is situated at a spot where you would expect to find a Fort, there is also an Iron Age enclosure on the brow of Cadeby Rattles which was excavated this summer by Sheffield Hallam University.

I spoke to the Prof in charge and he said his colleague had claimed it was a long barrow and had dug three trenches up there in the past but the site had never been fully excavated. Both sites would be classed as look outs and from the Cadeby Rattles location you can see right across to Wincobank and Mam Tor Forts.

Recently the Roman Fort at Bawtry was excavated  as was the Roman Fort at Redhouse

In retrospect we now have five Roman Forts built by the Romans to secure the ‘Pass’  at Bawtry/Doncaster to the high ground of the Magnesium,Limestone Escarpement,built at intervals of approx three miles, Long Sandal was built to monitor river traffic approaching Doncaster from the Trent/Humber Ouse etc.

regards Marko

owen
    Participant

“The Don derives its name from Dôn (or Danu), a Celtic mother goddess.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Don,_South_Yorkshire

Owen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Contact Us
close slider

What is 7 + 5 ?